This time of year we usually start to plan our winter vacation. By January many of us are itching to feel the warmth of the sun, and sand. Sadly, due to the Corona19 virus we must make due with staying home. For many of us, the thought of more quarantine time is downright depressing. I am one of those people.
Here are our top 3 tips to surviving winter blues:
- Go for a walk a day. Yes, drag yourself if you must, but it’s important to physical and mental well-being to walk each day for a minimum of 20 minutes. Breathe in the crisp winter air, and feel the sunshine on your skin.
- Get your vitamin D. Talk to your doctor about vitamin D supplements. Canadians are deficient in vitamin D due to our long winter. If you can’t get actual sunlight, try the S.A.D light for seasonal affective disorder. Light therapy on your skin converts into vitamin D which is necessary for many bodily functions.
- Use essential oils for aromatherapy. I enjoy the happy blend of orange, bergamot, grapefruit, and a drop of peppermint. Add this to your diffuser, or mix with a carrier oil and massage onto your skin. Breathe deeply.
Other helpful tips:
- Keep in touch with friends and family over the phone, facetime, walks outdoors.
- Discover a new hobby or interest.
- Sign up for an online class.
- Eat a healthy diet, and try not to turn to food for comfort.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Get adequate sleep.
- Keep up with personal hygiene.
If you feel suicidal get immediate help. In Canada call 1-833-456-4566SMS: Text START to 741741
We ARE in this together. Take good care of yourself.